Sunday, August 23, 2026
Privacy-First Edition
Back to NNN
World

Quake-prone Indonesia’s first nuclear power plant plan stokes safety fears

While some people see the proposed project on an uninhabited island with ‘pride’, others warn of safety issues

4-MIN READ4-MIN ListenKyodoPublished: 11:52am, 23 Aug 2026Coal-dependent Indonesia is reviving decades-old plans to build nuclear power plants that were put on hold following the 2011 Fukushima nuclear disaster in Japan, as it seeks to meet its decarbonisation targets.Some members of the public and experts, however, have voiced concerns about the risks of a nuclear disaster in the quake-prone country, despite one of the leading candidate sites being an uninhabited island considered not to be in an active seismic zone.

The government began discussing the revival of the plan last year as it seeks to reshape its energy policy. Deputy Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources Yuliot told an international nuclear forum in Jakarta in December that a new energy strategy would “explicitly” require the use of nuclear energy “to balance the energy mix and achieve decarbonisation targets”.

Plans to build nuclear power plants were first made in the mid-1990s under then president Suharto.

The Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources says that it aims to have Indonesia’s first nuclear power plant operational by 2032 at the earliest, with a target for nuclear energy to account for up to 12.1 per cent of the primary energy mix by 2060, with an installed capacity of 35-42 gigawatts.

Read original at South China Morning Post

The Perspectives

0 verified voices · Three viewpoints · Real discourse

Left
0
Be the first to share a left perspective
Center
0
Be the first to share a center perspective
Right
0
Be the first to share a right perspective

Related Stories