Thursday, August 20, 2026
Privacy-First Edition
Back to NNN
World

From ‘elation’ to ‘terrible news’ in 10 minutes: how the confusion over missing bushwalker Lily Hooper unfolded

The body of missing bushwalker Lily Hooper was found in Nattai national park south-west of Sydney. Photograph: NSW PoliceView image in fullscreenThe body of missing bushwalker Lily Hooper was found in Nattai national park south-west of Sydney. Photograph: NSW PoliceFrom ‘elation’ to ‘terrible news’ in 10 minutes: how the confusion over missing bushwalker Lily Hooper unfoldedThe 18-year-old’s body was found in Nattai national park on Thursday – but initial police messages indicated she was alive

Teen hiker Lily Hooper found dead as NSW police apologise for miscommunication ‘born of elation’

Get our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcast

Police have blamed dense bushland and radio confusion for wrongly reporting to 18-year-old Lily Hooper’s parents, the New South Wales premier and the media that the missing bushwalker had been found alive.

Hooper had last been seen on 12 August after leaving home for a hike in the rugged bushland of Nattai national park, 90km south-west of Sydney. She was reported missing that night, triggering a multi-agency search involving nearly 1,000 people, including hundreds of volunteers.

Eight days later, on Thursday morning, police media told reporters a “hiker” had been found.

At around midday, the premier, Chris Minns, was handed a piece of paper while addressing a parliamentary committee. He asked if it was accurate, to which the secretary of the cabinet office, Kate Boyd, said: “Yes.”

The premier, reading the paper, said he had “fantastic news” that Hooper was “found in the bush with half a bottle of water with her”.

His remarks were published across media outlets. Minutes later, Minns told the committee: “I’ve got some terrible news. I apologise … Lily’s body has been found.”

Questions immediately centred on how such a serious error could have been made.

SES search volunteers had told police they believed they had found Hooper alive at 11.30am, Joseph Cassar, police assistant commissioner, told reporters in Moss Vale on Thursday afternoon.

Recounting the sequence of communication, he said officers soon shared that message with Hooper’s parents, who had spent a “great deal” of time at the search command post near the head of the Bonnum Pic walking trail, where the teenager’s car had been found.

Vehicles drive along road near NSW national park where Lily Hooper’s body was discoveredCassar said the hundreds of searchers, carrying handheld radios, faced communication challenges in the “thick, dense terrain”. They had “clear instructions” to report when they found anything, even an item of clothing, he said.

The SES assistant commissioner Colin Malone said the SES volunteers were from the “highly trained” bush search and rescue team.

“It’s very rugged and rough terrain up there and radio communication – like mobile phone communication, as we all experience – when you’re in black spots or tricky areas, the information does get broken up a little bit,” Malone said.

Within 10 minutes, the same SES volunteers made a second “more accurate” report, Cassar said. He said they would probably have been “very close” to Hooper’s body.

By then, the incorrect message had already begun to circulate publicly.

The police commissioner, Mal Lanyon, told reporters on Thursday afternoon police had hurried to share the initial report after searching for Hooper for eight days.

“We sought to communicate, obviously, with the family and the media at the first opportunity,” Lanyon said.

“Elation,” he said, soon turned to “deflation – and obviously we know now, an impact on her family.”

“I unashamedly apologise for any additional trauma that may have caused Lily’s family, but certainly for the embarrassment and confusion that caused.”

Minns later said in a statement he received incorrect advice and “genuinely believed” he was sharing good news. “My deepest condolences are with Lily’s family,” the premier said. “I am profoundly sorry to think that anything I said may have added to their heartbreak at an already devastating time.”

Angus Taylor, the opposition leader, had reportedly published and then deleted a social media post indicating she had been found alive. He addressed the miscommunication while paying tribute to Hooper in parliament.

“Initial reports that she had been found alive proved to be wrong and that makes the blow even worse,” Taylor said.

Lanyon said police would have reported the finding to the office of the police minister, Yasmin Catley, and then to the premier’s office.

“I can’t explain why it was so quick but what I can say to you is this search has been high profile,” he said.

Lanyon said he had called Minns to apologise for the “misinformation” he had received.

Minns’ reference to a water bottle prompted speculation that search crews had used a code word in their initial report.

Asked how the “water bottle” phrase had been referenced, Cassar said: “I can’t tell you because I don’t know exactly what was said.”

Lanyon said he could not explain the reference but communications would be reviewed and improved. Police, the SES and the premier’s office declined to comment on whether coded terms had been involved in the miscommunication.

“This is not a circumstance I would like to see repeated,” Lanyon said.

“We will look at the relationship between police and the SES and we’ll work with other agencies to make sure communication failures don’t occur.”

The public breakdown in communications came a week after NSW police separately reported finding a “body” inside a suitcase which was determined the next day to have been a sex doll.

Lanyon denied the two incidents would impact public perceptions or trust in police.

“The police took exactly the right precautions [when] what we now know was a doll was found in a suitcase,” he said.

“I accept later on it was [determined] not a body, but I think the community would expect the police to treat crime scenes seriously and preserve evidence, and that’s what was done.”

Read original at The Guardian

The Perspectives

0 verified voices · Three viewpoints · Real discourse

Left
0
Be the first to share a left perspective
Center
0
Be the first to share a center perspective
Right
0
Be the first to share a right perspective

Related Stories