Friday, May 22, 2026
Privacy-First Edition
Back to NNN
Politics

US: Trump hints at action against Cuba amid intensifying standoff

The US escalated pressure on Cuba after charging former president Raul Castro, with Marco Rubio saying Washington remains open to talks but sees little chance of a negotiated solution.

https://p.dw.com/p/5EA4zTop Trump aides have met with Cuban officials in recent months to explore possible improvements in relations, so far without success [FILE: May 20, 2026]Image: Marco Bello/REUTERSAdvertisementThe US renewed threats of possible action against Cuba on Thursday, signaling a focus on changing the Caribbean island's communist system.

Both President Donald Trump and Secretary of State Marco Rubio weighed in on the issue.

Trump told reporters that past US presidents had considered intervening in Cuba but "it looks like I'll be the one that does it."

Trump, however, denied that the deployment of the USS Nimitz and its escort warships to the Caribbean for maritime exercises was intended to intimidate Cuba.

Toeing the same line, Rubio said Washington preferred a diplomatic solution but warned the chances of a negotiated settlement with Cuba's communist government were "not high."

"They're not going to be able to wait us out or buy time. We're very serious, we're very focused," he said.

He added that Trump "always has the option to do whatever it takes to support and protect the national interest."

Rubio, the son of Cuban immigrants, has long taken a hard line against Cuba's communist leadership.

The secretary of state described Cuba as a national security threat because of its security and intelligence ties with China and Russia.

On Wednesday, US Department of Justice announced the indictment of former Cuban President Raul Castro.

The 94-year-old Castro has been charged for his alleged role in the downing of two civilian US planes by Cuban air force fighter jets in 1996 when he served as defense minister.

Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel condemned the indictment as a political stunt aimed at justifying aggression against the island.

US indicts Cuba's Raul Castro over deadly 1996 plane attackTo view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video

Meanwhile, Rubio also said the US had detained Adys Lastres Morera, the sister of a senior executive at military-run conglomerate GAESA, after revoking her US green card.

Rubio had earlier accused GAESA of being guilty of enriching the country's elites while ordinary citizens suffer, calling it a "state within a state."

Many experts see the recent US steps against Cuba a replay of the same playbook the Trump administration followed when it captured then-Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro in a military operation in early January.

Amid crippling US sanctions, Cubans are facing daily blackouts lasting up to 20 hours and severe water shortages. Runaway inflation also caused prices for basic goods to soar, while trash has piled up across Havana.

China and Russia have both criticized the US actions against Cuba.

Read original at Deutsche Welle

The Perspectives

0 verified voices · Three viewpoints · Real discourse

Left
0
Be the first to share a left perspective
Center
0
Be the first to share a center perspective
Right
0
Be the first to share a right perspective

Related Stories