Thursday, May 21, 2026
Privacy-First Edition
Back to NNN
World

Teenage boys sentenced for raping lone girls

ShareSaveAdd as preferred on GoogleNikki MitchellSouth of England home affairs correspondent, Southampton Crown CourtCrown Prosecution ServiceOne of the girls was attacked in an underpass beside the River AvonThree teenage boys who raped two lone girls in separate attacks have been sentenced.

Prosecutors said the assaults in Fordingbridge, Hampshire, in 2024 and 2025, were "brazenly filmed" on mobile phones, with footage showing boys laughing and verbally encouraging each other.

Two 15-year-old boys and another aged 14 were previously convicted of rape following a trial at Southampton Crown Court.

The 15-year-olds were given three-year Youth Rehabilitation Orders with intensive surveillance and supervision. The younger boy's probation supervision will be for one and half years.

Two of the boys' mothers burst into tears as Judge Nicholas Rowland told the attackers "none of you need to go to prison today".

The judge praised the bravery of the two girls for giving evidence.

Warning: This story contains details some may find distressing

The victim of the first attack was 15 when she was raped three times in an underpass by the River Avon in Fordingbridge, during what she had thought was a first date.

She had travelled from her home to meet one of the boys for the first time after he had begun a "relationship" with her on social media platform Snapchat, but then two other boys appeared.

During the trial the court heard she was "petrified", felt "cornered and trapped" and feared being thrown into the river.

The boys shared video of the attacks on social media, resulting in her receiving abusive messages, prosecutors said.

The second girl was 14 when she met the boys at Fordingbridge Recreation Ground, was threatened with a knife, then raped three times in a nearby field.

No knife was found, but forensic evidence revealed her leggings had been cut with a "sharp instrument".

Video footage seen in court during the trial showed her lying motionless on the ground with "her face buried in her hands", while another boy was heard shouting words of encouragement.

Two of the boys were aged 14 when they carried out the rapes, and the third boy was 13 when he aided and abetted the second attack. The trio cannot be named because of their ages.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) warned that rapes and sexual assaults involving young people are "on the increase" and stressed the need for a firm stance against "misogynistic attitudes".

Senior prosecutor Siobhan Blake helps shape the CPS's strategy on violence against women and girls.

She said: "In terms of how common it is to see offences involving both youth offenders and youth victims, we are told by our prosecutors that they are on the increase.

"It is the behaviour of the perpetrators and not the victims that is the issue that we in society have to address.

"There is a real part for all of us to play as citizens to make sure that we have really clear conversations with our teens about misogynistic attitudes and push back really hard on those.

"Sexual activity without the consent of both parties is a criminal offence."

Read original at BBC News

The Perspectives

0 verified voices · Three viewpoints · Real discourse

Left
0
Be the first to share a left perspective
Center
0
Be the first to share a center perspective
Right
0
Be the first to share a right perspective

Related Stories