Add The New York Post on Google Southampton was handed down the most severe penalty it could receive in the wake of a spying scandal that will now see it expelled from the EFL Championship playoff final.
In a stunning decision that was handed down by the EFL Independent Disciplinary Commission, Southampton is denied the chance to be promoted to the Premier League, and the club will also be deducted four points for the 2026-27 season in the EFL.
The playoff final will now take place between Hull City and Middlesbrough on Saturday at Wembley Stadium, with a kickoff time still to be determined.
Southampton was spying on a Middlesbrough training session ahead of the first leg of their semifinal match, and photos later leaked of the alleged spy, Southampton analyst William Salt, showing him recording the training with a phone.
Flynn Downes, Cameron Archer and Welington of Southampton after their sides 2-1 win in extra time during the Sky Bet Championship Play Off Semi Final Second Leg match between Southampton and Middlesbrough at St Mary’s Stadium on May 12, 2026 in Southampton, England. Getty Images The investigation into Southampton later revealed “additional breaches” over the course of this season, according to a statement released by the EFL on Tuesday.
“Those additional charges arose from matters identified after the initial proceedings involving Middlesbrough were initiated,” the statement said. “Southampton admitted breaches of regulations requiring clubs to act with the utmost good faith and prohibiting the observation of another club’s training session within 72 hours of a scheduled match.
“The admitted breaches concern fixtures against Oxford United in December 2025, Ipswich Town in April 2026 and Middlesbrough in May 2026.”
The EFL also said it would discuss the implications of the decision handed down on Tuesday with all three clubs and “will make a further announcement in due course.”
Sky Sports reported that Southampton has already submitted an appeal on the decision, and the EFL told the outlet that the outcome of the appeal “could result in a further change to Saturday’s fixture.”
The appeal is expected to take place on Wednesday, and a decision will come shortly thereafter in an effort not to impact the final any further.
Southampton’s Ross Stewart scores their side’s first goal of the game during the Sky Bet Championship play off semi-final at St Mary’s Stadium, Southampton. Picture date: Tuesday May 12, 2026. PA Images via Getty Images Southampton is said to feel that the decision to sanction them so harshly was “disproportionate” and the club was “shocked and flabbergasted” by the news.
Middlesbrough expressed their pleasure over the decision in a statement and viewed the ruling as “a clear message for the future of our game regarding sporting integrity and conduct.”
Being kicked out of the EFL playoffs has plenty of implications for Southampton, which had been looking for a quick return to English football’s top flight after being relegated last season.
Winning the final would guarantee the victor at least $270 million in broadcast income over the next three seasons, along with promotion to the Premier League.