Transport chief Mable Chan says more than 7,500 people have applied for new combined taxi and ride-hailing vehicle written test
2-MIN READ2-MIN ListenWynna WongPublished: 3:51pm, 23 Aug 2026More ride-hailing platform operators from mainland China and Southeast Asia have approached the Hong Kong government about entering the city’s market ahead of the launch of licensed operations, the transport minister has revealed.
Secretary for Transport and Logistics Mable Chan also said on Sunday that more than 7,500 people applied for the new combined taxi and ride-hailing vehicle written test, calling the number a “very good and positive” sign.
“We hope there will be more competition and greater diversity, which will provide more choices for residents and future ride-hailing drivers,” she said on a television programme.
Hong Kong officially legalised ride-hailing services earlier this year, requiring platforms, vehicles, and drivers to obtain separate licences or permits.
Although the new regulatory regime took effect on August 3, the first licensed services are not expected to launch until later this year.
Chan said the overseas operators included established companies that Hongkongers might have encountered while visiting the mainland or Southeast Asia, but she did not identify them or disclose how many had made contact.