Add The New York Post on Google Many were upset about exactly how the news of Ed Oliver’s 2-year-old son’s tragic death came out.
When speaking to media on Saturday, Bills quarterback Josh Allen said that he was “very sad and angry” with how the news was leaked and that Oliver was not able to announce it on his own terms.
First off, I want to say thank you to the ones that knew about it and allowed him to have his moment and his time,” Allen said, according to The Athletic’s Tim Graham. “It’s very sad in how it came out. It makes me very sad and angry at the same time.
“Obviously, very unfortunate what happened and as a teammate of him, as someone in this locker room, all we can do is love on him. There’s nothing that you can say to make the situation any better except being there in whatever ways he needs.”
TMZ Sports broke news of Oliver’s son’s death Saturday morning after rumors circulated around social media Friday night, but the incident occurred nearly two months ago on June 28.
Earlier this week, controversial podcaster Tony Farmer leaked the news of the death, which then sparked the rumors.
According to both Allen and Bills head coach Joe Brady, numerous Bills reporters knew about the death when it happened but sat on the news out of respect for Oliver and his family.
“It’s the utmost, the most important thing, and I’m very … It’s very unfortunate how it came about. I appreciate (those) that knew and didn’t want to bring it up,” Allen said. “It’s no one’s place to really let that out there except him and his families when the time came for it, but we roll now and be there for him as teammates.
ESPN reported that the Bills have been aware of the death since June, and were “in alignment” with Oliver on revealing details of what happened.
The news coming out unbeknownst to Oliver also sparked a debate on journalistic integrity on social media, with multiple reporters sharing their perspectives.
“As a father, I can’t imagine any feeling like what Ed Oliver must be going through after losing his son,” Bills beat reporter Matt Parrino posted on X. “As a human being, I can’t imagine what that family has endured. I’m both of those before I’m a journalist.
“And I won’t apologize for that. Sending love to Ed’s family.”
“It’s a shame the team had to do this and [Ed] Oliver wasn’t allowed to grieve on his own timeline because an engagement Farmer disgustingly felt entitled to information about the death of a two-year-old,” Broncos insider Benjamin Allbright wrote on X.
With the news now public, Buffalo released an official statement Saturday morning.
“On behalf of the entire Buffalo Bills organization, we want to publicly express our condolences to Ed Oliver and his family on the devastating loss of his son,” Bills general manager Brandon Beane said in a statement. “It’s an unthinkable tragedy for any parent.
“We will continue to support Ed and his family as we all grieve this tragic loss.”