Friday, August 21, 2026
Privacy-First Edition
Back to NNN
Entertainment

LAPD investigating Nicolas Cage movie stolen from Netflix amid $105M lawsuit over mystery disappearance

Nicolas Cage stars in the WWII thriller, "Fortitude." Click News and Media / BACKGRID The Los Angeles Police Department is investigating the case of the missing Nicolas Cage movie at Netflix, Page Six Hollywood has learned.

A source tells us that the LAPD is officially working on the alleged movie heist, after Simon Afram, the screenwriter, producer and financier of the missing film, “Fortitude,” personally filed a police report. We’re told that the investigation is ongoing.

Two months have passed since the unreleased WWII thriller mysteriously vanished from inside Netflix’s Hollywood headquarters. And the filmmakers behind the $45 million film allege they know as much today as they did in June when they first learned that an unencrypted master copy of their film was swiped from an office desk at the streaming giant along with other drives.

Sources associated with the project say Afram filed the report himself after it was unclear if Netflix ever reported the incident to the cops.

When we reached out to the LAPD yesterday, its media relations division could not confirm nor deny that a police report had been filed by either party. (But we were told that police never responded to Netflix’s Hollywood HQ during the week the theft occurred, which would be a standard part of the police filing process.)

According to a $105 million lawsuit filed late last month by Afram over the incident, a Netflix executive acknowledged in a June 25 email to two “Fortitude” producers that the Simon West-directed movie was “stolen” and described the incident as a “breach.”

According to an exhibit in the lawsuit, the Netflix staffer wrote to the filmmakers: “This is a first for us. Unfortunately, someone stole a good amount of drives from our office desks this past week. We’ve been working through this with our security teams to no luck. Our piracy teams are on high alert with the breach and will monitor.”

The filmmakers behind “Fortitude” are also unaware of Netflix filing any type of insurance claim for the film that went missing sometime between June 16 — when Netflix screened the unreleased film via a digital cinema package (DCP) — and June 25, when the “Fortitude” team was made aware of the situation.

Netflix has previously said in a statement to Page Six Hollywood when we first broke the news of the film theft that it was conducting its own investigation, and that it declined to share the results with the filmmakers.

“Netflix disputes any claim that it bears the risk of loss for a film delivered without the proper industry-standard safeguards. While we do not own the rights to ‘Fortitude,’ we take content security seriously and have taken extra measures to support the filmmaker and his team,” the statement said. It added: “This includes conducting a thorough investigation and offering to monitor known piracy sites for any unauthorized distribution or sale. We have declined to share anything about our ongoing investigation with the law firm representing Simon Afram, given their hostile attempts to extort money from Netflix over this situation – including immediately demanding $165 million for the film rather than work with us in good faith.”

The statement, however, then triggered Afram to amend his initial $105 million complaint against Netflix for losing the film, we reported, by adding defamation to his list of claims on Aug. 4 over the streamer’s “extortionist” characterization. Netflix has not commented further.

An exasperated source close to the film told us: “Eight weeks of internal investigation, what’s the result? No police report filled [by Netflix], insurance not informed nor involved. Why? No collaboration with us nor LAPD. Why?”

The incredulous insider added: “What happened with the camera footage, security protocol? How was it possible to keep such valuable assets without security measures on an open office desk?”

Sources say that the filmmakers’ production insurance company is investigating the matter, and has conducted outreach to Netflix — but that Netflix allegedly has not responded to their insurers.

On July 29, Afram first sued Netflix in federal court in California’s Central District for breach of contract, we reported, claiming “careless and negligent treatment” on the part of Netflix.

The amended complaint says: “Netflix and its attorneys have refused to answer any questions about the circumstances of the theft, their supposed investigation, the disposition of the DCP, or even whether Netflix had filed a police report.”

Netflix has adamantly denied responsibility for the theft.

But Afram’s lawsuit also offers a counter narrative to Netflix’s allegation that the filmmakers didn’t use industry-standard safeguards. The suit notes that “Fortitude” associate producer Daniel Haido hand-delivered an unencrypted DCP of the film to Netflix at the streamer’s request — a standard transaction that takes place when distributors are interested in buying a film and ask for a version that is suitable for use in a commercial theater.

Haido also had given Netflix explicit instructions both verbally and in writing that, “the files be deleted after the screening,” the previously filed court docs claim.

Page Six Hollywood has spoken to other industry filmmakers who were rattled by news of the bizarre case and Netflix’s response, noting how commonplace DCPs are in the indie sale process and how financially devastating it would be to have a film stolen pre-release.

Your voice matters. Discussions are moderated for civility. Read our guidelines here

Community Guidelines Welcome to the Page Six Community! Our community is about connecting people through open and thoughtful conversations. We want our readers to share their views and exchange ideas in a safe space.

In order to do so, we've created a simple set of rules that will improve your experience.

Your post will/might be rejected if it contains:

User accounts will/might be blocked if we notice:

Thanks for reading our community guidelines. Don't forget, freedom of speech is not the freedom of reach!

Read original at New York Post

The Perspectives

0 verified voices · Three viewpoints · Real discourse

Left
0
Be the first to share a left perspective
Center
0
Be the first to share a center perspective
Right
0
Be the first to share a right perspective

Related Stories