Add The New York Post on Google From restricted to injured — no one knows what’s going on in Arizona with Ketel Marte.
The Diamondbacks’ star second baseman, who did not show up for a game Monday in a situation that baffled the team, has now been placed on the injured list with an apparent left knee injury.
Marte received an injection for left knee inflammation, per MLB.com, and the hope is he can return from the injured list in the minimum 10 days.
“I’m not gonna get into specifics,” Diamondbacks general manager Mike Hazen said Thursday, according to MLB.com. “I feel like the conversation and meeting was productive. We discussed the last week. That, obviously, I’m not going to get into. He’ll talk to his teammates at some point and we’ll go from there.”
Marte was originally put on the restricted list as the team tried to sort out why he didn’t show up to Fenway Park for Monday’s game against the Red Sox.
There has been a lack of information throughout this ordeal, with even team CEO Derrick Hall describing it as a “complete mystery” and “bizarre.”
But the team and Marte are finally settling on an injury for why Marte isn’t playing.
Marte and his agent met with manager Torey Lovullo and Hazen on Thursday, per MLB.com, resulting in Marte receiving an MRI which showed inflammation.
The bizarre situation began when Marte no-showed Monday’s game against the Red Sox despite having traveled to Boston with the team.
Lovullo said Monday he spoke to Marte that day received no clarity on the situation, and the Diamondbacks did not fill out a lineup card until the very last minute as they scrambled to replace him.
He initially called Marte’s situation a “personal issue.”
A personal issue is different from an injury, though, and Hall noted how this is the second time the team has dealt with questions about Marte’s whereabouts.
After the 2025 All-Star Break, Marte did not attend the first three games, instead opting to head back to the Dominican Republic while dealing with a robbery.
Marte told reporters through an interpreter at the time that he was “frustrated” and “in a bad spot” after his house was burglarized that week.
Lovullo noted, though, that those absences weren’t considered no-shows.
Even with Marte now on injured list with an official injury, plenty of questions still remain.
His absence is backdated to Thursday since players placed on the restricted list cannot be retroactively placed on the IL.