Add The California Post on Google The 49ers’ roster has faced a lot of scrutiny for injuries over the years, but now the front office is facing criticism because of the way it has drafted the past four years.
Former NFL offensive lineman Geoff Schwartz appeared on “First Things First” on Thursday morning and expressed his concern about them “missing out on first-round picks.”
“The problem, besides the injuries, is that they have drafted very poorly for four years now,” Schwartz said. “… But the rest of the roster, none of these guys are any impact players.”
Former NFL offensive lineman Geoff Schwartz rips 49ers front office. Charles Wenzelberg/New York Post The 49ers’ draft struggles, particularly in the first round, date back to 2021 when they traded three future first-round picks to acquire Trey Lance with the No. 3 overall pick.
Lance started four games for the 49ers before being traded to the Cowboys.
While the 49ers gave up so much to acquire Lance, they ironically found their future franchise quarterback the following season, when Brock Purdy, who was selected with the final pick of the 2022 NFL Draft, replaced Lance.
Schwartz’s rant on the 49ers’ front office continued; he also listed third-year wide receiver Ricky Pearsall and second-year defensive end Mykel Williams as misses in the first round.
Pearsall has appeared in only 13 games and has 67 receptions for 928 yards through his first two seasons. Health has been the knock against him, and it will continue to be as he will miss this season after having knee surgery.
Williams had 20 tackles and one sack through nine games last season before tearing his ACL, ending his rookie year. He is not expected to be ready for the team’s Week 1 game.
“So these guys start getting hurt, which they’re getting hurt as they get older; there’s no one to backfill. There’s just no one there,” Schwartz said. “I think about the 49ers’ draft picks, and I’m like, ‘Who are the dudes? Who are the dudes right now?’ “
49ers general manager John Lynch was criticized for his recent NFL draft strategy. San Francisco Chronicle / Polaris During the 2026 NFL Draft, ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr. graded the 49ers’ draft as the worst in the league after they elected to trade out of their Day 1 pick and selected wide receiver De’Zhaun Stribling with the No. 33 pick.
Stribling was considered a “reach” by most draft analysts, but so far, he’s reversed that early narrative and has been impressive at training camp. In the team’s Week 1 preseason game, he had seven receptions for 63 yards.
Besides Stribling, the team selected edge rusher Romello Height and running back Kaelon Black in the third round, who were also viewed to have been taken too soon.
“It seemed like general manager John Lynch went off the board to get the guys he wanted, often way ahead of where they were valued,” Kiper Jr. wrote.
California Post News: Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, X, YouTube, WhatsApp, LinkedInCalifornia Post Sports Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, XCalifornia Post Opinion California Post Newsletters: Sign up here!California Post App: Download here!Home delivery: Sign up here!Page Six Hollywood: Sign up here!