Thursday, August 20, 2026
Privacy-First Edition
Back to NNN
Politics

North Korea fires 10 missiles day after Trump curtails South Korea joint drills

People watch a news broadcast with file footage of a North Korean missile test, at a train station in Seoul on Thursday 20 August. Photograph: Jung Yeon-Je/AFP/Getty ImagesView image in fullscreenPeople watch a news broadcast with file footage of a North Korean missile test, at a train station in Seoul on Thursday 20 August. Photograph: Jung Yeon-Je/AFP/Getty ImagesNorth Korea fires 10 missiles day after Trump curtails South Korea joint drillsLaunches, detected by South Korea and Japan, came after US scaled back exercises with South Korea in apparent overture to Kim Jong-un

North Korea launched about 10 short-range ballistic missiles towards the sea on Thursday, South Korea’s military said, a day after North Korea shrugged off Trump’s order to scale back military drills with South Korea in an apparent bid to resume diplomacy.

The joint chiefs of staff said the launches happened from North Korea’s capital region around 5pm (0800 GMT) on Thursday. The military said the missiles were launched towards North Korea’s eastern waters.

The military said South Korea has bolstered its surveillance posture and was closely coordinating information on the launches with the US and Japan.

Read moreSouth Korea’s presidential national security council held an emergency meeting to discuss the launches. After the meeting, the council issued a statement urging North Korea to halt ballistic missile launches, banned by UN security council resolutions.

The Japanese prime minister’s office had earlier said that it detected a suspected missile launch.

On Wednesday, the South Korean and US militaries said they were scaling back their 11-day Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises. The US president, Donald Trump, earlier ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” the exercises, just before they began Monday. Trump cited what he said was a good relationship with Kim and South Korea’s refusal to support him over the war in Iran.

Kim Yo-jong, the influential sister of North Korean leader, Kim Jong-un, dismissed Trump’s overture later Wednesday. She said it was not even worthy of comment.

“The provocative, aggressive nature of the drills won’t change even though their duration and size were reduced,” she said. “If the US calculates that it can propagate its recent measure as the one of so-called good faith, they will not get the desired answer.”

She also cited a series of other military drills carried out by the US and South Korea earlier this year and South Korea’s push to introduce nuclear-powered submarines.

However, Kim Yo-jong refrained from the typical North Korean reaction of fiery rhetoric and said personal relations between her brother and Trump were “still excellent”. That could signal that North Korea would want to wait for Trump to make bigger concessions before returning to talks.

She denied Trump’s claim that Kim Jong-un had responded to his request for a conversation.

When asked by reporters Wednesday if he would be meeting with Kim Jong-un this year, Trump said that “Yeah, I will be.” He would not answer a question about whether he is exchanging letters with Kim but said he gets along with him.

Read original at The Guardian

The Perspectives

0 verified voices · Three viewpoints · Real discourse

Left
0
Be the first to share a left perspective
Center
0
Be the first to share a center perspective
Right
0
Be the first to share a right perspective

Related Stories