Lawmakers said sanctions should remain as mainland Chinese, Hong Kong officials were ‘complicit in Beijing’s dismantling of Hong Kong’s autonomy’
3-MIN READ3-MIN1 ListenMark Magnierin New YorkPublished: 6:46am, 19 Aug 2026Updated: 6:58am, 19 Aug 2026Several top US Democratic lawmakers chided US President Donald Trump on Tuesday for easing sanctions recently on Chinese and Hong Kong officials who, they said, were “complicit in Beijing’s dismantling of Hong Kong’s autonomy”.“We write to express serious concern,” the four-page letter said. “It raises serious questions about the durability of US policy towards Hong Kong that we believe warrant a direct response from the administration.”
This modification removed nine of the 48 previously sanctioned officials from the list, including several top security officials and Justice Secretary Paul Lam Ting-kwok. This effectively ended restrictions on their ability to use the US banking system or access any US assets.
The change also saw 39 others – including former chief executives Carrie Lam and John Lee as well as the previously cited National People’s Congress Standing Committee leadership – moved to a different sanctions list that removed some restrictions, including a prior ban on importing goods.