Wednesday, August 19, 2026
Privacy-First Edition
Back to NNN
World

AFL chief breaks silence over ‘deeply concerning’ Sydney Swans sexual assault allegations

Andrew Dillon, the chief executive officer of the AFL. Photograph: Michael Willson/AFL Photos/Getty ImagesView image in fullscreenAndrew Dillon, the chief executive officer of the AFL. Photograph: Michael Willson/AFL Photos/Getty ImagesAFL chief breaks silence over ‘deeply concerning’ Sydney Swans sexual assault allegations Andrew Dillon says the AFL ‘will consider the broader conduct of the players as more information comes to light’

The AFL has declared it is prepared to act over “deeply concerning” sexual assault allegations involving Sydney Swans players.

Victorian police on Tuesday confirmed the sexual crimes squad was investigating a reported sexual assault at Melbourne’s Pullman Hotel early on Monday morning. No arrests have been made and no charges have been laid.

The league’s chief executive, Andrew Dillon, addressed the report in a statement on Tuesday evening.

“The conduct and serious allegations regarding Sydney Swans players are deeply concerning,” Dillon said.

“Being clear about our standards also means being prepared to act when those standards are not met. Notwithstanding the ongoing police investigation, the AFL and the Sydney Swans will consider the broader conduct of the players as more information comes to light.”

He also called for respect for the privacy of the woman who made the report.

“The woman who made the report to police is entitled to privacy and care, and that should be respected,” Dillon said.

The AFL has the power to stand down players if they are accused of illegal behaviour. No players have been stood down.

Swans coach Dean Cox earlier on Tuesday said there would be updates “where we get more information,” when asked if there would be sanctions against any players.

“We’re working our way through everything with the AFL and the relevant parties,” Cox said.

Swans players Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, James Jordon and Riley Bice were reportedly questioned by detectives in relation to the alleged incident. There is no confirmation they were directly involved.

The four players reportedly returned to the hotel in the early hours of Monday morning after drinking, following the victory over Essendon at the MCG that secured the Swans a home final.

The Swans play North Melbourne at the SCG on Sunday. Sydney is required to name its extended squad on Thursday evening then cut that back to 23 players plus three emergencies on Friday. The Swans then have a week off during the wildcard round before a home qualifying final.

Dillon said the incident had wider ramifications for the AFL, beyond the impact on the Swans, in his Tuesday statement.

“Our first question should not be what this means for a football club. It should be whether our actions match the standards we stand for and the community expects of us,” he said.

“Sexual assault allegations are serious, regardless of who is involved, what time of year it is, or what they may mean for a season.”

Read original at The Guardian

The Perspectives

0 verified voices · Three viewpoints · Real discourse

Left
0
Be the first to share a left perspective
Center
0
Be the first to share a center perspective
Right
0
Be the first to share a right perspective

Related Stories