Monday, August 17, 2026
Privacy-First Edition
Back to NNN
Politics

Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it gets in way of Iran deal

Trump made the threat while speaking to a Fox News reporter, referring to Iran-Oman talks on control of the Strait of Hormuz

2-MIN READ2-MIN ListenAgence France-PressePublished: 10:24pm, 17 Aug 2026President Donald Trump on Monday threatened to bomb Oman if it “gets in the way” of a US deal with Iran on the Strait of Hormuz and called for Iran to surrender.

“If Oman gets in the way, we’ll bomb the shit out of them,” Trump told Fox News journalist Trey Yingst, referring to ongoing talks between Oman and Iran on control of the strait, while Washington is also pursuing its own talks.

Iranian and Omani officials have been talking for weeks on future maritime navigation arrangements through the shipping route, and the foreign ministry in Tehran said earlier on Monday that the two sides were working on a joint declaration.

However, Trump has repeatedly insisted that the strait – which Tehran effectively closed at the start of the Middle East war on February 28 – is under US control despite traffic remaining throttled.

On Friday, Trump claimed that he would even declare the Strait of Hormuz part of US territory, while Iran retorted that the crucial energy waterway it has blockaded “will remain Iranian”.

04:36Why the vital Red Sea shipping lane may be the new frontline in the US-Iran warBefore the launch of the US-Israeli war against Iran, the Hormuz strait was considered an open, international waterway. It carries significant portions of global energy shipments, as well as other commodities.

Read original at South China Morning Post

The Perspectives

0 verified voices · Three viewpoints · Real discourse

Left
0
Be the first to share a left perspective
Center
0
Be the first to share a center perspective
Right
0
Be the first to share a right perspective

Related Stories