Tuesday, August 18, 2026
Privacy-First Edition
Back to NNN
Politics

Burnham exchanged messages with White House imposter

Image source, PA MediaByJennifer McKiernan, Political reporter and Damian Grammaticas, Political correspondentPublished10 minutes agoPrime Minister Andy Burnham exchanged messages with a person posing as the chief of staff to US President Donald Trump.

Downing Street has declined to comment on the security breach, first reported by Politico.

Politico reported that officials said Burnham communicated with the person claiming to be Susie Wiles "before becoming suspicious that the contact was illegitimate" and claimed only a "few messages" were exchanged.

A government spokesperson said: "We do not comment on national security matters."

It is understood the communication between Burnham and the person posing as Wiles was in the form of messages and there was no conversation between the two.

"No messages of significance" were exchanged and the texts were "quickly reported to the appropriate authorities" once they were believed to be suspicious, sources said.

The BBC has previously reported an FBI probe into Wiles' phone being hacked in May last year.

At that time, Wiles said her phone had been hacked after an impersonator, or impersonators, used her contacts file to message other top US officials.

The impersonation was targeted at her personal phone, not government phone, but recipients included US senators, governors and top business executives.

Wiles, a key Trump ally, was also among those targeted by a cyber espionage unit associated with Iran's Revolutionary Guards - a powerful branch of Iran's armed forces - in 2024.

FBI to probe effort to impersonate top Trump adviser, sources tell CBS

Read original at BBC News

The Perspectives

0 verified voices · Three viewpoints · Real discourse

Left
0
Be the first to share a left perspective
Center
0
Be the first to share a center perspective
Right
0
Be the first to share a right perspective

Related Stories