Sunday, August 23, 2026
Privacy-First Edition
Back to NNN
Health

US military reports another soldier killed in northern Iraq

The service member was killed in Iraq on Saturday during the ‘controlled detonation’ of a downed Iranian drone, the US military said

In a post on social media, US Central Command (CENTCOM) said a soldier was killed in northern Iraq on Saturday during a controlled detonation of unexploded ordnance from a downed Iranian one-way attack drone. A second soldier sustained minor injuries and is continuing to receive medical treatment, it said.

This came a day after the US military reported that two other soldiers had been killed during an operation in Jordan on Friday, marking the first reported US military fatalities since the latest escalation of the conflict with Iran.

At the time, the military also said a third soldier was missing. On Sunday, it said unidentified human remains had been recovered following a thorough search of the site.

An identification process is under way. According to US media reports, citing a US official, the remains are believed to be those of the missing soldier.

In Iran, at least 50 people have been killed and more than 500 injured in the latest US strikes since the new escalation in the Gulf, according to the Iranian government, which typically reports only civilian casualties and releases no official figures on military losses.

Read original at South China Morning Post

The Perspectives

0 verified voices · Three viewpoints · Real discourse

Left
0
Be the first to share a left perspective
Center
0
Be the first to share a center perspective
Right
0
Be the first to share a right perspective

Related Stories