Sunday, August 23, 2026
Privacy-First Edition
Back to NNN
Education

74% of Hong Kong pupils get first-choice secondary school, match 2025 record

High satisfaction rate reflects sensible choices and strategies by well-informed parents, school council representative says

2-MIN READ2-MIN ListenWilliam YiuPublished: 4:53pm, 6 Jul 2026Seventy-four per cent of Primary Six pupils in Hong Kong were allocated their first-choice secondary school through the central allocation system, matching last year’s record – a result a school council representative attributed to parents making more informed choices.

The Education Bureau on Monday said that 48,545 students joined the Secondary School Place Allocation System, an increase of 534 pupils, or 1.11 per cent, from last year.

“For students allocated through central allocation, 91 per cent were allocated the first three choices and 74 per cent were allocated the first choice,” the bureau said in a statement.

All current Primary Six students taking part in the allocation should return to their primary school on Tuesday to collect their allocation and admission slips, and register at their allocated secondary school on Thursday or Friday.

There are two stages in the allocation of public secondary schools.

In the first, discretionary places are awarded based on factors such as academic and interview performance. They can apply directly to one or two schools, with the results released in March.

Read original at South China Morning Post

The Perspectives

0 verified voices · Three viewpoints · Real discourse

Left
0
Be the first to share a left perspective
Center
0
Be the first to share a center perspective
Right
0
Be the first to share a right perspective

Related Stories